[free-sklyarov] Free book terminology (was Things you can't do with ebooks)

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Thu Aug 9 11:19:56 PDT 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Robert Knop wrote:

> How about a crippleBook?  That refers back to "CrippleWare," the form of
> ShareWare which had key functionality disabled until you paid the
> licensing fee.  Not really the same thing, since *here* you pay the
> licensing fee just to get the crippled version.

	I'd avoid any use of the word "cripple."

	I think what we need is a term that communicates not only the
	restrictions, but the extreme customer-equals-criminal paranoia
	of the people who put them there.  Use is not just being
	restricted, but increasingly monitored, like the customer is
	on some sort of probation.
							=S