[free-sklyarov] [DMCA_discuss] FW: Rice U. Student cracks Wireless encryption protocol (WEP)]

Julian T. J. Midgley jtjm at xenoclast.org
Thu Aug 9 18:06:04 PDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Julian T. J. Midgley wrote:

>  means to
> descramble a scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work,
> or otherwise to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, or impair
> a technological measure, without the authority of the copyright
> owner; and
> ological measure On Thu, 9

It's not a good night tonight - I foolishly assumed that selecting text
in Acrobat reader and pasting it to pine would do the right thing, in the
usual X way.  Embarassingly, it turns out that a substantial
number of spurious control characters get included, including a fair
few cursor movements, and at least one ^X followed by a 'y'. Doh!

Was going to quote the definitions of "circumvention" and
"effectively control access", with my reasoning as to why PGP becomes a
copyright protection measure when used as discussed- will leave this for
another time.

--
Julian T. J. Midgley                    http://www.xenoclast.org
Cambridge, England.                       PGP Key ID: 0xBCC7863F