[free-sklyarov] [DMCA_discuss] FW: Rice U. Student cracks Wireless encryption protocol (WEP)]

Rebecca J. Hill rjhill at directvinternet.com
Thu Aug 9 18:20:31 PDT 2001

> Since when has WLAN encryption been a 'technological protection
> measure' designed to prevent copyright infringement?
>
> Julian

One of the (many) critisisms with the anti-circumvention provisions of the
DMCA is that a violation can occur even when the primary material being
protected by the technological measure is not copyrightable.  In other
words, as long as ANY portion of the material behind the lock is
copyrightable, breaking the protective devise could be deemed a DMCA
violation.