[free-sklyarov] False story about Dmitry on Russian TV

Jon O . jono at microshaft.org
Thu Aug 9 20:30:14 PDT 2001

On 09-Aug-2001, Bob Smart wrote:
> On Thursday 09 August 2001 15:41, you wrote:
>
> > Great way to spread FUD and run a smear campaign against the poor guy.
> > I'm finding it really difficult not to drop into conspiracy mode on this
> > one, it's just way too convenient...
>
> Especially because I just can't see how this could possibly benefit anybody
> BUT a conspiracy.  Who besides the US government would stand to gain anything
> by something like this?

This is a good point. Think about the implications of this.
False News from end-to-end?

I figure there are a couple things to consider.

The DMCA is going global at this point. Canada is close to getting one. There
are more:
DMCA Worldwide: Canada, New Zealand, USA
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/07/28/1658234&mode=thread

Question is why? Answer: WIPO + WTO = DMCA.

If I control Russian news, I want to smear the arrested. I want the public to
think this was a bad guy. I want the DMCA to look good.

If you read the WIPO documents, you will find them pressuring these other
countries to create DMCA type laws. They are not focused on Russia right now
because it is kinda out of control as it is.

Read this:
http://www.ustr.gov/pdf/special.pdf

It should scare the hell out of you.

Samples:
Argentina refuses to recognize micro-organisms as patentable. (Patent Life?)

..questions remain whether sufficient legal authority exists
*as required* by the TRIPS Agreement for civil ex parte search procedures.

Macau's courts have implemented a special expedited prosecution
system that allows a suspect to be brought immediately to trial.

Then when you've had enough, do this:

Take back the Net!
http://anti-dmca.org/take_back/