[free-sklyarov] CDR: Public Records in USA v. Sklyarov (fwd)

Julian T. J. Midgley jtjm at xenoclast.org
Fri Aug 10 02:56:31 PDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Alex Fabrikant wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Joe Barr wrote:
> > Sealed to avoid placing any agents at risk during the investigation?
> >
> > Something stinks to high heaven here, but I can't quite put my nose on it.
> <snip ref to cryptome public records copies>
>
> I would guess that sealing the complaint during a criminal investigation
> is standard procedure, but IANAL. Seems reasonable that, in the absence of
> additional circumstances, the FBI would not want a criminal to know
> they're after him. Whether or not they got a "criminal" this time around
> is an orthogonal issue, really.

If they didn't, the Mafia and others could really go to town:

Dear Freedom of Information Officer,

(A) Please inform me of all criminal investigations currently ongoing in
which I am under suspicion, and release to me all available documents
concerning these investigations.

(B) Please also reveal the location of all phone taps, keyboard loggers,
hidden cameras and listening devices being used in the course of these
investigations at any of my three properties (addresses in Appendix A), or
on or in any of my 12 cars, my Gulfstream, or my 2 personal yachts
(enumerated in Appendix A).

(C) Please supply me with the names and addresses of those law enforcement
officials currently tasked with keeping a watch on my house and tailing me
in my car.

(D) I have provided at Appendix B maps showing the extent of my various
properties.  I should be most grateful if you could circle those bushes,
shrubs, trees, rocks and walls behind which the above officials hide
in the course of their duties, and return the maps to me.

Yours sincerely,

Don 'The Direct Approach' Corleone"

--
Julian T. J. Midgley                    http://www.xenoclast.org
Cambridge, England.                       PGP Key ID: 0xBCC7863F