[free-sklyarov] The Anti-DMCA Index -- Libraries, Ebooks and the DMCA

Jon O . jono at microshaft.org
Mon Aug 13 11:13:57 PDT 2001

On 13-Aug-2001, Kurt Foss wrote:
> At 10:23 AM -0700 8/13/01, Jon O . wrote:
> >I think you are right about this.
>
> Just to confirm -- he is indeed correct. While the term "Read Aloud"
> is one of the eBook permissions that a publisher can choose, the
> meaning is not what it seems. There's also a technological component
> involved as to whether a user can make use of "Read Aloud" even when
> permission is enabled.

Yes, and it seems very interesting that the Gutenberg Project who
converted the work allows for such restrictions to be placed on their
works. I wonder if a modification to the Gutenberg "Terms of Use" or
something would help, stating that use of this text is permitted
so long as other restrictions are not applied...?