[free-sklyarov] The Anti-DMCA Index -- Libraries, Ebooks and the DMCA

Mark K. Bilbo mkbilbo at cdcla.com
Mon Aug 13 12:17:17 PDT 2001

Christopher R. Maden wrote:

> One can certainly argue that Adobe's feature system is aggressively
> controlling, but the whole "read aloud" fiasco is not nearly as
> nefarious as it seemed at first.  Attacking it is setting up a
> strawman; better, I think, to stay focused on the real issues.

I disagree that this is not an issue. Yes, the "read aloud" thing wasn't
what people thought and isn't the horror first believed. However, NOBODY
can restrict a public domain work. Period.

I want that point made very, very clear to these corporations. They not
only want "fair use" to be eradicated but are working on "public domain"
as well.

Mark