[free-sklyarov] The Anti-DMCA Index -- Libraries, Ebooks and the DMCA

Victor Piterbarg free-sklyarov at happycool.com
Mon Aug 13 14:48:38 PDT 2001

There seems to be a very fuzzy difference between "published" and "not
published" in the digital world. If publishers can place restrictions on
public-domain works, then the Project Gutenberg people can say that they
have "published" these texts, and that by downloading them you agree to a
license that prohibits you from placing any restrictions on the work you've
downloaded, if you want to re-distribute it. In fact, they can also ROT-13
the texts for good measure.

-Victor