[free-sklyarov] The Anti-DMCA Index -- Libraries, Ebooks and the DMCA

Doug McNaught doug at wireboard.com
Mon Aug 13 14:59:04 PDT 2001

"Jon O ." <jono at microshaft.org> writes:

> I still can't see how can we allow a publisher to restrict Public Domain
> works they didn't even convert.

"Public Domain" means just that.  You can do anything you want with
it.

It's interesting that PG chose not to put additional restrictions on
their files, but they didn't ("BSDish" license rather than "GPLish").

> PG is doing a nice thing. They are assisting with the growth of knowledge
> throughout the world. Then some big companies make a format that becomes
> the most widely used, sprikle in some restrictions and make a mockery of
> the original ideals which converted the book to digital format in the first
> place.

Nothing to stop any one of us from taking the PG text, making it into
an (unrestricted) eBook (or justa regular PDF) and distributing it for
free, killing that part of ther business model.  Have at it.

-Doug
--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.