[free-sklyarov] a right for pregnancy analogy

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 14 11:10:35 PDT 2001

on Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 06:30:45PM +0100, Anton Chterenlikht (a.chterenlikht at sheffield.ac.uk) wrote:
> Amazon:
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/516492/ref=br_bx_c_2_0/002-7169370-8124005
>
> Q. What is the return policy for e-books?
> A. E-books are nonreturnable.

> I think therefore that such return policy is legal. However there is a
> possibility that if someone would wish to return the e-book, the seller
> would have to take it back. It entirely depends on the trade law and
> regulations. Probably the customer has a right, supported by a
> corresponding law to return the purchased item under certain
> circumstances. There are some exceptions, ex. earrings. They are usually
> non-returnable due to hygienic reasons.

Note too eBook purchases are credit-card only.  In the US, there are
federal statuatory protections which allow consumers broad rights to
return or refuse payments of goods found defective, or even just
missing.

This might make for an interesting mass protest:  purchase of eBooks by
a small crowd, followed by refusal of payment.  The refusal is
negotiated between the CC company and the vendor -- making a CC company
a useful lever in this particular battle.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>          http://kmself.home.netcom.com/