[free-sklyarov] Newsweek Article (8/20 Issue)

Bob La Quey robertl1 at home.com
Wed Aug 15 23:22:18 PDT 2001

>Really, well can you explain why my website gets over 10,000 hits per day?
>
>http://www.anti-dmca.org
>

>> But this is the right fight and you are on the right side.

This is good. I don't mean to belittle it. But to put it in perspective
this nation has over 100 Million adults using the Internet. If each of
your hits reprsents a unique individual then 300,000/month 0r 1/3 of 1%
of these people have hit your site. I suspect we are indeed lucky if
50,000 unique individuals have ever seen your site. We have a ways to go.

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38515-2001Feb21.html

My real problem is not with cheerleading or being pleased with results
but with the sort of expectation that is raised by your rhetoric,

>I can smell the smoldering remains of these over
>protective, under encrypted, stomping Rights companies now...

I do agree that these companies are dinosaurs. But they are large and very
dangerous dinosaurs who got the DMCA passed by 99-0 despite the best efforts
of the EFF. I expect this fight to go on for years, if not decades, so I
find any thing that suggests a quick victory is naive and likely to lead
to disenchantment. I would like to see the younger fellows still fighting
the meta battle 30 years from now, well after some of us are long dead,
because I do believe the battle is never won but rather only changes form.

Take a look at http://download.cnet.com/downloads/

and select the Most Popular link, which may be

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10001-102-0-1.html?tag=st.dl.10001.dir.10001-102-1

The numbers run toward a million downloads each week.

I note that Adobe Acrobat has been on these charts for 156 weeks and is currently
number 19 with 58,614 downloads last week. Not exactly a "smoldering remain".

It may be that getting a single "Free Dmitry" hit mp3 does as much to build the
consciousness of a large number of people as anything.

Buena suerte amigos,

Bob La Quey