[free-sklyarov] FC: AP reportedly doesn't like quoting one sentence from articles

Brooklyn Linux Solutions ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Aug 16 13:00:47 PDT 2001

When the smoke clears on this dispute, it will likely show no
fair use issue whatsoever.

Aside which, it was never a fair use to make commercial application of
any part of a copyrighted work....as far as I know.

As for what I think, I don't think any contract can reduce fair use since
it's
a doctrine which draws from the 1st ammendment, among others.

Ruben

On 2001.08.16 15:48:13 -0400 Wendy Seltzer wrote:
At 03:26 PM 8/16/01 -0400, Brooklyn Linux Solutions wrote:
>about has an interesting news system with contracts that go beyond the
>scope of this
>list.

And as a result allows itself to be cowed into telling its writers that
copying a sentence of text is not fair use?  Saying that use is barred by
contract might stand or might not (depending on whether the About.com
writers get  the stories only through contract with AP and whether AP can
use a "hot  news" misappropriation claim to say its contracts are
restricting something other than what copyright permits).   If it is
contract, though, why are they telling writers it's copyright and
contributing to a narrowing of the general norms of fair use?

--Wendy

Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.com
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html