[free-sklyarov] FC: AP reportedly doesn't like quoting one sentence from articles

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Thu Aug 16 14:08:51 PDT 2001

At 04:00 PM 8/16/01 -0400, Brooklyn Linux Solutions wrote:
>When the smoke clears on this dispute, it will likely show no
>fair use issue whatsoever.

It's managed to incense lots of people in the meantime, though.

>Aside which, it was never a fair use to make commercial application of
>any part of a copyrighted work....as far as I know.

Wrong, thankfully.  Fair use is often commercial.  2 Live Crew was selling
its parody of Roy Orbison's "Oh Pretty Woman" for profit, yet was confirmed
in its fair use.   Whether the use is commercial or non-profit is only one
factor in the analysis, and it is not determinative.  Even a commercial use
can be fair if other factors, such as the use's transformative character,
its lack of effect on the market for the original, or the original's
factual nature, are in its favor.  It's always a balancing, and
commerciality doesn't weigh so heavily against fair use as you suggest.

--Wendy
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.com
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html