[free-sklyarov] Another ebook "processor"

Bob Smart bobds at blorch.org
Sat Aug 18 17:21:13 PDT 2001

On Saturday 18 August 2001 10:56, you wrote:

> > Ummm...actually, not it most definitely is NOT the original intent.
> > Copyright was established as a mechanism to enrich society, and any
> > economic incentives for authors that accompany it are merely the means
> > to that end, not the end itself.
>
> Believe me, I understand the concept.  Authors are granted an income
> stream so that society may benefit from their writings.  Without the
> monopoly-derived profit, no writing.  Without a public benefit, no
> justification for the monopoly grant.

Ummm...no, PUBLISHERS get the income.  Authors get pennies, publishers get
the real money.  And yet, inequitable as that system is, writers continue to
write.  If enrichment of authors truly were the purpose of copyright, it
would be an amazingly ineffective system.

In fact, some of the greatest literature, music, and other art of all time
was created under NO system of copyrights AT ALL.  Writing for purely
commercial purposes produces...slasher sequels and mindless, derivative
sitcoms.

> You're now on to a different (though interesting in its own way) topic.
> Note however that a world in which authors aren't allowed to sell at
> least limited rights would be one in which they couldn't profit.  Again,
> I agree that present circumstances are often rather unfortunate.

Could it possibly be that there are many other reasons for writing (or
painting, or composing) besides profit?  If profit were really the force that
drives authors to write, our system of allocating the bulk of the money to
publishers at the expense of authors would have already put an end to
writing.  Saying that writers wouldn't write without big paychecks is like
claiming that without prostitutes, there would be no children.

This system we have today has NOTHING to do with "protecting" or "promoting"
artists, and everything to do with exploiting them in what was until recently
their utter helplessness.

Now, to return this to something at least vaguely Sklyarov-related: Dmitry
isn't even accused of doing anything wrong to authors or making illegal
copies, nor is anybody else accused of using his software for such a purpose!
All his software does is enable people to access the books they've already
paid for (whoever actually got the money) and even THAT is more than our
current system of institutionalized intellectual parasitism can stomach.
Encrypted books now effectively no longer enter the public domain AT ALL, no
matter how long we wait, because the encryption never self-disables and it's
illegal to "traffic" in the tools to make fully legal, legitimate access to
the material.

The public clearly does not benefit from pay-per-view publishing, and neither
do the authors--so who, exactly, are you defending?

What I wrote above is hereby dedicated to the public domain and may be freely
used, in whole or in part, with or without attribution.