[free-sklyarov] Another ebook "processor"

Brooklyn Linux Solutions ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sat Aug 18 18:07:22 PDT 2001

On 2001.08.17 20:36:54 -0400 Jeme A Brelin wrote:

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 11:04:41AM -0700, Jeme A Brelin
> (jeme at brelin.net) wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Sonja V. Tideman wrote:
>
> > > Copyright is a delicate bargain.  The government creates a temporary
> > > artificial monopoly on a creative work to allow the creator to gain
> > > a profit.

<<No, it's not.  The intent is not to allow profit, but to allow CONTROL OF
DISTRIBUTION AND PRESENTATION. >>

No.  That is not correct.  The original statement is correct.  It's a
temporary franchise designed to promote the publications of works by
increasing the possibiliy of profit.

It's never been about absolute control of distribution or
presentation....in fact, it was never about presentation at all.  It was
always asumed that control would be lost of distribution and until
recently, copyright violations were punished according to the comercial
impact on the copyright franchise.

I dare you to discover any quotes from any founding father in relationship
to the addition of the copyright clause which states otherwise.

In addition, I would add that this is not the same as the government
guaranteeing that the franchise would be profitable.  It is only an attempt
to give the copyright holder the shot at a profitable limited monopoly.

Ruben
--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions
http://www.mrbrklyn.com