[free-sklyarov] Re: spam

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 18 19:02:22 PDT 2001

on Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 09:39:14PM -0000, ca2027001 at sneakemail.com (ca2027001 at sneakemail.com) wrote:

> There have been two spams from the spammer who harvested email
> addresses from this list. Unfortunaely, if you do any posting to the
> internet you set yourself up for lots of spam. One trick is to use
> "disposable" addresses to save your primary address from being ruined.

Note that this discussion's off topic.  I'll be brief.

As noted, spam harvesting is occuring from list archives or other
records, significant spam isn't being sent to the list.

Of various countermeasures, I prefer a strong filtering system.  I get
about 6 spams per day (broadly defined to include a wide range of sins:
broken list responders, vacation programs, etc.).  Most go to a folder
where I can quickly assess if it's truely junk or a filter foul-up.  I
use a tool to quickly tag and report spam.  I'll be happy to discuss
these off-list.

Evasive manuvers like munging addresses and/or changing them frequently
seem to be both excessive and a concession to the spammers -- you're
making your own life, and the lives of those who want to contact you --
very difficult.

I've got a six year old, well known, address, posted to many lists and
groups.  Higher exposure is unlikely.  My own spam burden is relatively
low.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>          http://kmself.home.netcom.com/