[free-sklyarov] 'COMMENTARY: STEALING IS STEALING'

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Sat Aug 18 19:41:10 PDT 2001

Ruben, I do not think we much disagree here.  I took your suggestion to be
a call for a real estimate of the effects of repealing the DMCA on the
whole system of publication.  But now, as far as I can see, my four
numbers, and others like them, are actually close to what you asked for.

ad using the techniques of the other side:  We mostly cannot.  The other
side has millions to spend and their publicity firms are not concerned
with the truth of their claims.  Because we do not have millions, our
arguments must be effective with the press and with people who have not
thought as long as we have about such matters.  That means, we must not
only be passionately scrupulous in our regard for truth, but we must even
be careful to present first those arguments that are strongest in the eyes
of reporters and people not already on our side.

oo--JS.