[free-sklyarov] reasons for restriction of competition

DeBug debug at centras.lt
Mon Aug 20 09:03:51 PDT 2001

1)
>>You talk about what mass production together with efficiency
>>can bring. What would happen if all people could have access
>>to mass production lines. Just imagine automobile factory at
>>your home.
CS> Good question.  I don't know what would happen.
All people would move from producing goods to creating and
inventing new ones.

2)
>>If new product creators were paid IN ADVANCE this would not happen.
CS> Fair enough, but you are just moving the problem back one level.  Who will
CS> pay in advance?
Government should force people. Yeah, instead of trying to enforce copyrights
on people government should collect a tax for advancing "useful arts" etc.

>>>(3) Therefore, unless we restrict copying, etc., there
>>>will be insufficient incentive for creative people to
>>>actually create and distribute their stuff.
CS> Well, I may be wrong, but I don't think I'm "lying" by stating the normal
CS> rationale for copyright.
Your rationale for copyright is right and i do agree with it.
I do agree with the rationale but i do not agree with copyright
Copyright is not a right way to advance "useful arts" etc.
It maybe working (and it really works) under certain conditions but
in general it will fail unless conditions are artificially kept the
same. Sklyarov case is a good example.

3)
CS> Some people create stuff because, as you
CS> say, they like doing it and are driven to do so by their own urges.  They
CS> will create whether they get paid or not.  Others have talent but will only
CS> deploy it for money.  But then there's the whole middle ground of cases --
CS> someone who can write beautiful novels or wonderful songs, but has bills to
CS> pay, kids to feed, etc., and ...
CS> then the novels, songs, etc. just won't be forthcoming.
That only means public does not have enough interest in those novels
or that the person in question is more usefull for public in other
fields than in novel or song writing. Yeah it's a pity that the time is
a limited resource. But the time is limited for all people -
by restricting me from accessing certain copyrighted
work copyrights slow me down in my own work.

4)
>>Since people are lazy by their nature ( usually try to get as
>>much money as they can for as little effort as possible)

CS> I suppose that
CS> reflects a certain kind of laziness, but as vices go I think it tends more
CS> towards greed.

>>there is a need to force them to create goods.

CS> Where did "force" come from here?  People can produce or not.  It's up to
CS> them.
This is what we started from. Copyrights are for forcing people
to create "useful arts" etc. (sorry for my bad english - forcing
is not a right word here , i meant stimulating)
So i do certainly agree with you- not forcing but stimulating

5)
Stimulating
>>can be done by introducing copyrights
>>and other forms of restrictions. This way seemed to work good.
>>But i can predict it will not perform good in the future as more
>>and more easy it becomes to resist restrictions. What must be done
>>is to make people creative so i think a special copyright-tax
>>collected from public and distributed among authors would be
>>more appropriate than copyrights.

CS> This is a variant of what is known as a "compulsory license."
I would call it compulsory tax for progress. Country need progress -
public must pay for it.

CS> I suppose we could tax blank CDs and CD players, etc., to generate this fund.  But then
CS> how do we decide who gets how much?  I'm not raising that as an objection
CS> but as a serious question.  Do you pay the would-be garage band the same as
CS> you pay Smash Mouth?  The same as you pay N'Sync?
My answer is as follows:
Government sais people they must pay for creating new activities, new
businesses, new art works etc. In other words people must invest.
If you do not invest - you pay for it.
It is up for you to decide where you are going to invest or spend, but if you
keep saving money - government immediatly takes the money away from you.

Don't you think people would invest into Smash Mouth or even
garage bands if they new their money will be spent in any way

--
Best regards,
 DeBug                            mailto:debug at centras.lt