[free-sklyarov] LOCAL San Francisco, August 30

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Tue Aug 21 15:45:47 PDT 2001

(This is during LinuxWorld Conference and Expo, so I hope to see
some out-of-town people there.  Richard Stallman and Bruce Perens
are likely attendees.)

Free Dmitry                                           Free Dmitry
                MARCH ON THE FEDERAL BUILDING
Free Dmitry                                           Free Dmitry

Thursday, August 30, 2001, 11:30 AM
Meet at Moscone Center, San Francisco, California, USA

Please join history's largest and most successful fair use movement
in a San Francisco march to free Russian programmer Dmitry Sklyarov.
At the request of Adobe Systems of San Jose, Dmitry was arrested
by the FBI in Las Vegas on July 16th.

Following previous demonstrations by people like you, Adobe dropped
their support of Dmitry's prosecution, and the US government
has released him on $50,000 bail.  Now it's time to turn out the
largest Free Dmitry rally ever, to demand that the government drop
the charges for good.

"The U.S. government for the first time is prosecuting a programmer
for building a tool that may be used for many purposes, including
those that legitimate purchasers need in order to exercise their
fair use rights," said Electronic Frontier Foundation attorney
Robin Gross.

Other demonstrations will be held worldwide.  For information on
Dmitri's case and other "Free Dmitry" events, please visit
http://freesklyarov.org/

MEET OUTSIDE MOSCONE NORTH: Moscone North is located on Howard
St., between 3rd and 4th.  Meet on the PUBLIC SIDEWALK outside
Moscone North at 11:30 AM.  From Moscone North we will march the
approximately nine blocks to the Federal Building.

FROM CALTRAIN: Get off at the San Francisco station and walk five
blocks north on 4th St. to Howard, and make a right on Howard.
Or take MUNI bus 15, 30, or 45 to 3rd and Howard.

FROM BART: Get off at Powell St. and exit the station at 4th and
Market. Walk two blocks south on 4th to Howard Street and turn left
on Howard.

DRIVING/PARKING: Please see the Moscone directions page at:
http://www.moscone.com/direct.htm

WHAT TO BRING
Please bring a sign or a U.S. or Russian flag, and a cell phone if
you have one.  Keep signs simple (4 words is ideal) so that they are
easy to read for people passing by.  "Free Dmitry" is a good example.

LOCAL EVENT CONTACT
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> 650-962-9601 or 650-743-8035 (cell)

MORE INFORMATION:
See the web site at http://freesklyarov.org/

--
Don Marti      What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Free Dmitry: http://eff.org/