[free-sklyarov] Copyright as a restriction

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Aug 22 09:46:36 PDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Tom wrote:
> I have discussed this issue off list, and I'm willing to pour some time
> and even money into running what I call a "field test" - setting up a
> new system and opening it up to the general public (both artists and
> prospective customers).
>
> that is definitely off-topic, so I suggest anyone interested mail me in
> private and we'll carry on the discussion either via CC or if there's
> many of you, on a new mailing list.
>
> yes, this may well drive the music mafia out of business if it works.
> more specifically: it'll replace them with a better business model.
> we'll need some venture capital, but I believe it can even be
> profitable beyond putting food on the artists' tables.

Tom,

I'm very interested in working this with you (depending, of course, on
some of the philosophical details).

I'd love to see a modern "society of patronage" that collected money and
paid artists to create new work that is unencumbered by restrictive
distribution law or license.

I think the law is somewhat against us in the US, though.  I fear we may
have to resort to using copyright against itself, ala GPL, in order to
prevent the work from being co-opted by restrictive licensing schemes.
Perhaps this isn't necessary if we stick to the sort of work that
generally remains in accessible form like the written word and music.

Is this the sort of thing you were considering?

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net