[free-sklyarov] What I'd like to see: fixing DMCA and IP

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Thu Aug 23 12:23:22 PDT 2001

On 23 Aug 2001, Stephen R. Savitzky wrote:

> I'd like to see it made illegal to sell, distribute, traffic in,
> etc. any file format or software that *prevents* fair use of
> legitimately purchased copyrighted material, that prevents such material
> from reverting to the public domain when its copyright has expired, or
> that restricts in any way the use of public domain material.

	Um, wouldn't this be a ban on encryption?

	Even if not, I can easily imagine a bill along these lines
	being altered to include restrictions on privacy.  After all,
	both fair use and wiretapping require the same basic restriction:
	that people make cleartext available in some form.

	You could possibly prevent this by outlawing the *publication*
	or sale of material unless cleartext is available, but not mere
	distribution or transmission.  However, the Internet is slowly
	turning every act of communication into "publishing."

							-S