[free-sklyarov] Copyright as a restriction

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Thu Aug 23 12:39:03 PDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, the Edward Blevins wrote:

> Others have followed a similar thought process and come up with something
> they call the Stree Performer Protocol; You might want to take a look at it:

	This reminds me:  if you can get smaller record companies to adopt
	any open license (explicitly allowing fair use copying, not
	participating in fine-grained usage control or putting
	technological hurdles in the music,) "branding" will become a
	very important issue.  You will want every physical CD case,
	especially ones that make it into actual record stores, to have
	some kind of "FREE AS IN SPEECH" sticker to make sure people
	are aware of the restrictions the Big Boys have.

	This is a bit off topic from alternative distribution methods,
	tho.  From what I've read, the only way to cheaply make music
	available is to completely avoid avoid traditional distribution
	and advertizing, i.e. record stores and radio stations.  BTW,
	where can I find a URL for the Open Audio License?  I'm
	having trouble tracking it down.

							-S