[free-sklyarov] Re: [DMITRY-PLAN] SF Volunteer Desperately Needed

Macki macki at 2600.com
Fri Aug 24 05:03:50 PDT 2001

What permits? Are we blocking any streets? No. We don't need any permits at all. Especially not in SF, I've marched with a hundred people down market street during rush hour with police escort and no permit and no problems. If you want a parade permit, it probably takes longer than a week (besides for being inappropriate).

I understand the chilling effect that police violence can have on would be demonstrators, but PLEASE do your research. Needlessly asking the state for permission before you exercise your free speech rights is not only a waste of time and energy, but underminds people's confidence in the legitemacy of our actions. It's sending a message to participants that what we're doing is some thing other than a perfectly normal and legal activity that should be commonplace in any democracy, and that it's in need of prior approval by the police. Yes, it sometimes pays to be paranoid, but not at the cost of self-censorship and chilling your speech.

If you're still concerned, contact the National Lawyer's Guild of SF and ask them to send a legal observer to the demo (always a good idea anyway).

     --Macki