[free-sklyarov] What I'd like to see: fixing DMCA and IP

Robert Knop rknop at pobox.com
Fri Aug 24 06:49:04 PDT 2001

> Actually, it would be sufficient to include a unique serial number and
> digital signature on every copy you sell.  That way if somebody
> distributed a large number of copies you could trace them (or if they
> filed the serial numbers and signatures off, you could bust anyone in
> possession of an unsigned copy, since it's obviously stolen).

That's troublesome, because part of "fair-use" rights include making
excerpts.  It would be very cumbersome of you had to set up a system
whereby every conceivable excerpt woudl include the serial number and
the signature, and it would be very limiting to the people trying to
make the exceprts.  (You would have to use only approved
signature-maintaining software, and couldn't use the tools of your
choice, to make the excerpt.)

-Rob