[free-sklyarov] Copyright as a restriction

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 24 11:19:02 PDT 2001

on Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 03:58:05PM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Xcott Craver quotation of Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 06:39:40PM -0400:
>
> > 	Finally, you want there to be a commercial incentive for
> > 	smaller companies to reject DRM.  Hence visibility in the form of
> > 	a sticker or logo, bragging that this CD is better.  Think
> > 	of it as the music equivalent of a "FAT FREE" label.
>
> Lydia Kinata did this one:
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/open_logo/
>
> It could also be used for non-DRM players, sound cards, media, you
> name it.

Note that positive labling (e.g.:  open media on non-DRM packaging) is a
much easier sell than negative labling (e.g.:  this recording rapes your
First Amendment and common-law contract First Sale rights).  It's the
same battle that's been going on in the food biz for ages: fat free,
sugar free, organic, and no preservatives lables proliferate.  We don't
see "fat laden", "sugar loaded", "pesticide laced" and "preservative
soupe" labling.

Only in the very extreme case (tobacco and alchohol products in the US)
are negative lables applied, and these only at extreme political
pressure.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>          http://kmself.home.netcom.com/