[free-sklyarov] _Alice_ read aloud

Jon O . jono at microshaft.org
Fri Aug 24 21:11:13 PDT 2001

This is really nuts. I'm going to get me some fonts and take over...

This is what I posted to the yahoo board:

> [Michael Hart's WEB-LAW reference to the Anti-DMCA Index]
> "26. Number of restrictions placed on 'Alice in Wonderland' (public
domain)
> eBook:  5
>
> I guess I would like to reiterate that this version of Alice is not
public
> domain but is a unique new work and copyrightable. My work on
recapturing
> Carroll's exact typography and design was probably more exhaustive
than his
> original work. It's copyrighted for that reason. But since the
original
> work involved far more than just typography, I give it away as a
tribute to
> Carroll's contribution. Since my work can't easily be detached from
> Carroll's in this form, my copyright gives me the right to control
its use,
> but I keep it open. I certainly did not ask that the "Read Aloud"
> restriction be set on it, and Adobe has said that it was an
accident in
> this case.

This is very interesting and I'm not sure I understand entirely. From
your example above, it would seem that certain typographical changes
actually create new ownership of a work. This is hard for me to
understand. Does this apply only to public domain books? Meaning, can
I provide typographical enhancements to a public domain book and
therefore create new copyright? If this is true, I can see many
designers suddenly restoring books digitally with typographical
enhancements and claiming ownership.

Also, how can the act of *recapturing* be "more exhaustive" than the
original itself? Isn't the original what is being recaptured not an
enhancement?