[free-sklyarov] _Alice_ read aloud

James S. Huggins (Free Sklyarov) FreeSklyarov at ZName.com
Sat Aug 25 08:01:12 PDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 05:45:27PM -0700, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> >I guess I would like to reiterate that this version of Alice is not
public
> >domain but is a unique new work and copyrightable. My work on recapturing
> >Carroll's exact typography and design was probably more exhaustive than
his
> >original work. It's copyrighted for that reason. But since the original

While I might agree that the new version is a new work and is copyrightable,
I would disagree that the words are copyrightable.

Any restriction on reading the words seems inappropriate for me because the
words are public domain.

James S. Huggins