[free-sklyarov] _Alice_ read aloud

Doug McNaught doug at mcnaught.org
Sat Aug 25 15:53:40 PDT 2001

Will Janoschka                        <wiljan at pobox.com> writes:

>  Since PDF is a raster format everything appears mixed, like
>  pictures, and hard to separate.

PDF is not just a raster format.  It's more like a binary boiled-down
form of PostScript without the programmability.  Not especially
human-readable without a viewer, but you can (in general) extract runs
of text from it without doing OCR.

Since it's always possible for some dumbass to render text to an
all-raster PDF, the _Alice in Wonderland_ ebook we're talking about
may or may not end up extractable when converted to PDF using your
favorite illegal utility.

-Doug
--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.