[free-sklyarov] _Alice_ read aloud

Will Janoschka wiljan at pobox.com
Sat Aug 25 21:59:31 PDT 2001

On 25 Aug 2001 18:53:40 Doug McNaught doug at mcnaught.org said:
>Will Janoschka <wiljan at pobox.com> writes:

>>  Since PDF is a raster format everything appears mixed, like
>>  pictures, and hard to separate.

>PDF is not just a raster format.  It's more like a binary boiled-down
>form of PostScript without the programmability.  Not especially
>human-readable without a viewer, but you can (in general) extract runs
>of text from it without doing OCR.

>Since it's always possible for some dumbass to render text to an
>all-raster PDF, the _Alice in Wonderland_ ebook we're talking about
>may or may not end up extractable when converted to PDF using your
>favorite illegal utility.

 -so true-  actually---
Adobe's e-book -Alice's adventures in Wonderland- is easily converted
to text from the PDF using Ghostscript.

I was trying to give credence to Mr. Zelchinko statement that with the
Adobe e-book reader it is difficult to separate the text from the font
and his illustrations of Sir John Tenniel.  These (replicated)
illustrations are, in my opinion, excellent, much better than those
produced at Harvard earlier.  I have no idea why he sold/gave his work
to Adobe so that Adobe could give it away, thus creating the impression
that e-book reader and Adobe are "such good things".
read:  (Adobe enables you to "view premium content")

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:19:07 Tom tom at lemuria.org said:

>unless I'm mistaken, the gutenberg license REQUIRES that
>an ASCII version is available...

It is quite apparent that Mr. Zelchinko was aware of but did
not use any of the Project Gutenberg work.   Why would he,
Lewis Carroll's stuff is all over the place.

on Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 00:10:23 Xcott Craver said:
>   Hasn't it recently been ruled that eBooks are new works, simply
>   by virtue of being in this new format?
Hi Scott,
By whom?  The Random House thing was over who owned rights
in what format.  Random House 'prolly has good lawyers tho.
                                        -will-