[free-sklyarov] what is to be done

James S. Tyre jstyre at jstyre.com
Wed Aug 29 21:33:27 PDT 2001

At 04:59 AM 8/30/2001 +0400, Yaroslav Grekov wrote:
>Letters wont work - they'll just throw them away.
>Therefore we need to concentrate our efforts
>on something really useful and meaningful.
>
>I've read today's WIRED report on indictment -
>http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,46398,00.html?tw=wn20010829
>and noticed one curious line:
>
>"At least one lawsuit seeks to have aspects of the law declared
>unconstitutional."
>
>What about this LAWSUIT?
>Where can I get details on it?
>How can we make it win?

Felten et al. v. RIAA et al., in which we ask for, among other things:

"Declaratory Relief (Second Cause of Action)

"   E. A declaration that the application of the DMCA to the
publication or presentation of the SDMI Paper, the ICASSP Paper,
Chapter 10 of Dr. Wu's dissertation and/or any scientific, technical
or academic research related to the SDMI Public Challenge violates
the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

"   F. A declaration that the DMCA is unconstitutional on its face
because it violates the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

"   G. A declaration that the application of the DMCA to the
publication or presentation of scientific, academic or technical speech,
including the publication of computer programs, violates the First
Amendment to the United States Constitution."

http://www.eff.org/Legal/Cases/Felten_v_RIAA/20010626_eff_felten_amended_complaint.html
http://www.eff.org/Legal/Cases/Felten_v_RIAA/

James S. Tyre                               mailto:jstyre at jstyre.com
Law Offices of James S. Tyre          310-839-4114/310-839-4602(fax)
10736 Jefferson Blvd., #512               Culver City, CA 90230-4969
Co-founder, The Censorware Project             http://censorware.net