[free-sklyarov] RE: Increasing awareness and pressure

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Aug 29 23:05:22 PDT 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 Robloch at aol.com wrote:
> I agree that there is a danger for this to be labeled as 'hacker
> against government' story. However if the issue it put forward as a
> 'freedom' or 'basic rights' issue, then the it can be packaged as
> something that would be of interest to a wider audience.
>
> 'Russian fights for Americas freedom' That sort of angle.
>
> I don't think that anyone should underestimate the potential of this
> story, it could go massive in mainstream media. The information is
> there, it just needs to be packaged in a more mass media format.
>
> I think that 60 minutes is a great idea.

I think you have no idea what the REAL problem is.

The REAL problem isn't the DMCA or even the WIPO... it's PARTLY the
Telecommunications Act of 1996, but I think we'd be in a very similar boat
without that.

The problem is media consolidation and conglomeration.

The mainstream media WILL NOT present Dmitry in a favorable light because
the mainstream media bought and paid for the law that's keeping him in
jail and that law is written exactly how the mainstream media wanted it to
be written.

Pay-Per-View culture is what mainstream media wants.

Open formats and free speech are incompatible with the pay-per-view
culture.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin