[free-sklyarov] Chicago's Protest a Success!

Peter A. Peterson II pedro at tastytronic.net
Thu Aug 30 14:25:05 PDT 2001

Chicago's FREE DMITRY / Anti-DMCA protest today was a success! We had
about 7 people and passed out in the neighborhood of 600 fliers -- not
bad for short notice.

In addition, there was a producer from WBEZ interviewing protesters --
it's unknown exactly what will come from that, but nonetheless it was
nice to have someone from the media there. And what's more, the mere
presence of a microphone really made more people interested. Scott
Corley was our champion leafletter, passing out tons of fliers.

The question then is, what now? Dmitry & Co. have plead guilty, so it
looks like we'll be digging in for the long haul. Please, wherever you
are, print and pass out fliers, try to write for a college or local
newspaper if you can, and pester media contacts you might have for
coverage.

The next scheduled national event is a letter-writing day for Sept.
8th. I think it would be *absolutely great* to pick a restaurant in
the city, descend on it, order a bunch of food, and then clear off the
tables to write letters. People could bring their own stamps and
envelopes, or someone could provide some of those things. I think that
letter-writing is the next crucial step in letting the Government know
that we're not going to live under the DMCA -- and that it's their
responsibility to change it. Please make suggestions for restaurants
that would be friendly to this kind of activity, and please make room
on your schedule for this activity -- getting together to write
letters is a great way to get a lot of letters written.

For more information, please see http://www.freesklyarov.org/ or the
Chicago site at http://chicago.freesklyarov.org/. For more
up-to-the-minute news, subscribe to our mailing list at:

Free Dmitry!

pedro