[free-sklyarov] DMCA used to shut down animal-rights site

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Fri Aug 31 06:16:12 PDT 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Martin Baker wrote:

> Salon article:
>
> "The DMCA is the next major assault on nonprofit organizations,
> specifically those with few resources. Can they defend themselves and how
> well can they defend themselves? We have to make a stance in some way for
> free speech."
>
> http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2001/08/31/dmca_animals/index.html

	This and another DMCA article on Salon are grouped on the front
	page under the header, "The worst law ever?"   I guess the DMCA is
	making the news frequently enough to warrant its own section.

	The DMCA has been aimed at quite a diverse array of victims now.
	I can see why people suggested a 60 minutes piece:  what a
	powerful story it would be, just to tie together all the different
	people around the world hit by this law:  a Russian grad student,
	a Princeton Professor, a journalist for a hacker magazine, a
	teenager who wanted to watch DVDs under Linux, and an animal rights
	group.  Now all we need is a wild animal trainer, a shrubber, and
	an expert on the naked mole rat.

	Contrast this diversity with the soulless uniformity of their
	tormentors.  A this company, a that company a this industry, a
	that industry.  They all have the same basic motivations, and
	the same amazing ability to pick their targets very badly.

> Martin
							Scott