[free-sklyarov] New York Times story on court appearance

Luke Melia lkmlists at lukemelia.com
Fri Aug 31 06:36:43 PDT 2001

The letter to the editor I just fired off to the NY Times...

Keep up the fight,
Luke

Dear Editors,

Jennifer Lee's update on the Sklyarov case (Russian Programmer Enters
Plea, 8/31/01) casts an unfortunate light on the public opposition to
the charges. Ms. Lee calls the case a "cause célèbre," and notes the
t-shirts and bumper stickers selling online.

Those comments nearly poke fun at an incredibly concerned opposition
movement that rightfully sees the case  and the DMCA has a huge civil
liberties infringement. The DMCA dictates a significant
transformation of copyright in our society; a transformation that has
effects directly opposite to the copyright law's original intentions.

  The computer geeks on the front lines of the digital age are working
hard to protect us all from the chilling effects of this law, whether
or not we have taken the time to fully understand it's implications
for society. Let's give them a bit more credit than noting their
t-shirts and bumper stickers.

LUKE MELIA
NEW YORK, NY