[free-sklyarov] FBI IS REPORTEDLY USING SURVEILLANCE WORM

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Dec 3 14:33:53 PST 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> There has been no indication that any FBI-supported software would
> attempt to spread itself to new hosts, and I find it very unlikely
> that they would use anything which does so, as it would almost
> completely eliminate any chance of the program being accepted by the
> court system.

You forget that Ashcroft has stated that his "War on Terrorism" on the
domestic front includes "adopting new methods to find terrorists before
they act, even if they won't result in a conviction" (or words to that
effect).

We talked about that on this very list a few months ago.

They don't care if it gets thrown out of court when you finally get a
trial.  They just want to listen now and lock you up for some convenient
period later.

> A more minor detail is that Magic Lantern's purpose is not to capture
> passwords in general.  It specifically targets PGP/GPG passphrases.

What good is the passphrase without the private key?  Does it capture
those, too?

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin