[free-sklyarov] Quick Query for Campus Campaign

Jim Crumley crumley at mail.com
Tue Dec 4 06:51:44 PST 2001

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 10:24:51PM -0500, Xcott Craver wrote:

> 	How many universities are represented by people on this list?
> 	I.e., if we print up flyers specifically oriented to students
> 	or otherwise plan to raise awareness on college campuses, how
> 	many campuses would we be talking about?

Well, our Minnesota group [1] isn't college only, but the majority of
the work we've done (especially since August) has been on campus
here at the University of Minnesota. We've done flyers and we've
done talks, but its hard to say how successful we've been at
getting the word out.  I think that our real support is pretty
narrowly concentrated in the CS and EE departments.

> 	People here at Princeton seem a bit surprised when they hear
> 	about Sklyarov's arrest; sounds like that DeCSS thing, they think.
> 	But they are positively shocked when told that Sklyarov is a grad
> 	student, doing his dissertation on the stuff that got him nicked.
> 	When you point out he's one of them, it gets their attention.
>
> 	I've handed out a lot of those flyers from the San Jose protest,
> 	but I notice that it makes little mention of the fact that he's
> 	a student.  And, that this mess is about research he's doing as
> 	a student.  If we want an on-campus Free Dmitry campaign, we
> 	need to emphasize this.

Hitting on the fact that Dmitry is a student is good and is
probably what helped us get coverage in the college news paper.

  1. http://faircopyright.org/

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |