[free-sklyarov] Microsoft's DRM OS Patent

David Haworth david.haworth at altavista.net
Thu Dec 13 00:18:51 PST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:03:58AM -0500, Seth Johnson wrote:

> Following are my comments to Dave Farber on the recently unveiled
> Microsoft Software Patent for a Digital Rights Management Operating
> System.

A question for anyone who has read the patent (and understands it) -
is there really anything "non-obvious" or "innovative" in there
(apart from the given accumulation of widely-known techniques
into a bug-ridden whole that is typical of Microsoft).

One interesting thing that might come out of this.

If:
  - Microsofts patent is ruled valid, and
  - the US government mandates the use of this system for all
    "digital devices"

then the US would be in breach of the WIPO Copyright Treaty
(look at the "agreed statements" concerning article 12).
Can anyone say "instrument of unratification".

Dave

--
David Haworth
Baiersdorf, Germany