[free-sklyarov] [danny@spesh.com: NTK now, 2001-12-14]

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Dec 14 13:30:23 PST 2001

----- Forwarded message from Danny O'Brien <danny at spesh.com> -----

 _   _ _____ _  __ <*the* weekly high-tech sarcastic update for the uk>
| \ | |_   _| |/ / _ __   __2001-12-14_ o join! mail an empty message to
|  \| | | | | ' / | '_ \ / _ \ \ /\ / / o ntknow-subscribe at lists.ntk.net
| |\  | | | | . \ | | | | (_) \ v  v /  o website (+ archive) lives at:
|_| \_| |_| |_|\_\|_| |_|\___/ \_/\_/   o     http://www.ntk.net/

...snip...

                                >> HARD NEWS <<
                            news you'd rather lose

         They said that a bunch of geeks waving placards would do
         nothing to free DMITRY SKYLAROV. And they said that whining
         about obscure Net-torturing provisions in already drafted
         legislation would change nothing. And we believed them, too.
         It's lucky that other people are more foolishly optimistic
         than that. After all, it'd be fair to claim that adverse
         publicity of the Skylarov case contributed heavily to
         everyone's DMCA poster-boy being released yesterday:
         especially Adobe's boycott-prompted wish that Dmitry's
         prosecution be dropped. And while UK government defeats
         during the final stages of legislation are almost unheard
         of, the data retention clause in the Anti-Terrorism Act was
         one of the few to get shot down. Out goes the condition that
         ISP logs can be kept and examined for detecting any crime.
         Now, as heavily lobbied by those "aery-faery" and naive
         civil libertarians, it has to be proper *terrorist* crime.
         Mr Blunkett, in conceding the amendment, commented that the
         logs would have to be kept anyway, to see whether they were
         terrorists or not, and "that is how stupid the Liberal
         Democrats [and their Tory supporters, presumably] are."
         Let's see how stupid the human rights judges, and the Data
         Protection folk are when they get to work on this.
         Meanwhile, here's to another year of stupid protestors and
         their clearly impossible victories.
         http://makeashorterlink.com/?N1B025B3
                  - the day's Hansard": search, as ever, for 'stupid'
         http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/US_v_Sklyarov/20011213_eff_pr.html
                                          - putting the free into eff

...snip...

             Copying is fine, but include URL: http://www.ntk.net/

                    Tips, news and gossip to tips at spesh.com
             All communication is for publication, unless you beg.
              Press releases from naive PR people to pr at spesh.com
     Remember: Your work email may be monitored if sending sensitive material.
       Sending >500KB attachments is forbidden by the Geneva Convention.
              Your country may be at risk if you fail to comply.

----- End forwarded message -----

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti at zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/