[free-sklyarov] Re: Continuing the fight

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Sat Dec 15 21:00:01 PST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 11:36:46PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The dropping of charges against Sklyarov is a good thing, but we must
> not think of it as our victory, because we did not win it.  Rather, it
> is largesse from powers that feel completely triumphant.  They believe
> that their successes in court, together with the example presented by
> Sklyarov's treatment so far, make their dominion so strong that
> nothing can challenge it.

	Indeed. I concur, but from a slightly different analysis.
Arguably, this isn't even "largesse". The dismissing of charges is
based on Sklyarov's agreement to "cooperate with the United States in
its ongoing prosecution ...". It seems that overall, Adobe and DMCA
advocates will get the best of both worlds. With Sklyarov's testimony,
they're set to establish a strong DMCA court decision. Given the
prior jailing of Sklyarov, they've already intimidated people.
Dropping the charges against him personaly in returns for testimony
helping to win the case, and establish law, is a logical maneuver.

	This is not to breath a word, in any way, shape, or form,
against whatever Sklyarov did to obtain his freedom. He's suffered
much. But freedom for Sklyarov isn't the same as freedom from the
DMCA. That's important to keep in mind in the outcome.

[Regarding http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/can/press/html/2001_12_13_sklyarov.html ]