[free-sklyarov] Re: Continuing the fight

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sun Dec 16 23:12:30 PST 2001

>> 	That is, if a defendant "admitted his conduct" in such a way
>> as to affirm every element of the charges against him, has he given
>> away his defense in all but name? Yes, this is not legally a guilty
>> plea, as he could maintain innocence if the deal breaks down and he
>> then goes to trial. But *pragmatically*, would he have much hope then?

Normally, defendents jump at such deals because the incentive is to
prevent from having a record of conviction.  In this case, I don't know if
he is motivated by this.  Obviously it gives the EFF wigle room to declare
a victory.

I'm more interested in the work we have to do up ahead.  NY Fair Use has
made a beach head with Anthony Wiener, who is on the IP subcommittee and
is here in Brooklyn.  People should contact him and try to make him more
aware of us and get us a face to face in DC.

If we succeed in working with him, Senator Schumer won't be far behind
since they are close friends, and Bouchner willhave one more voice in the
Judicial committee.

Politcal action is more  important now than ever.

Ruben

--

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting