[free-sklyarov] Re: Continuing the fight

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Mon Dec 17 21:35:43 PST 2001

    ???  In what sense did he have a duty?  This wasn't a prearranged test
    case; this was a guy visiting a foreign country getting grabbed, and
    finding a way to go home again.

Sometimes a person finds himself in a situation where other people's
freedom depends on him.  I think that situation brings with it a moral
duty to stand up for freedom.

Some people think that other countries don't matter.  I disagree with
that view.  Fighting for their freedom can be just about as important
as fighting for freedom in one's own country.

In this case, though, the fight is for all countries.  The US is
trying hard to push the DMCA onto the whole rest of the world.
Russians are safe for the moment, but they can't assume they will
remain safe.  Their freedom is on the line too, in the long term.