[free-sklyarov] Re: An apology and an affirmation

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Tue Dec 18 14:07:57 PST 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 02:17:57PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
> When I read Seth Finkelstein's message saying that Sklyarov had agreed
> to "cooperate with the United States in its ongoing prosecution",

	Just to clarify so there is no confusion, the words in quotes
are from http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/can/press/html/2001_12_13_sklyarov.html
They are not my own statement, but rather that of the Department of Justice.

	Myself, I've been trying to think through what it all means.
This is not from the point of view of any criticism of anyone or the
deal itself. But rather, I don't think it's a trivial matter or a
prosecution-cave-in either.

> The truly important issue is not one programmer, one company, or one
> case; it is the DMCA and our freedom.  On this issue, I stand by what
> I have said.  We must put the strongest pressure on Adobe, on movie
> companies that make encrypted DVDs, and on any other companies that
> now or in the future use the DMCA weapon against our freedom.  We must
> teach them to regret their arrogance.

	I don't believe anyone would disagree. But how?

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at sethf.com  http://sethf.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/19/technology/circuits/19HACK.html