[free-sklyarov] Newsbytes Story: Man Indicted For Auctioning Pirated Software On Ebay

Vladimir Katalov vkatalov at elcomsoft.com
Wed Dec 19 04:23:26 PST 2001

Hello,

> That would be a case of copyright infringment.
> Why is this interesting to the list?

Well, here is an interesting statement:

> The indictment stemmed from a one-year investigation by the
> U.S. Postal Service and the Computer Hacking and Intellectual
> Property Unit of the United States Attorney's Office. Investigators
> were prompted by complaints lodged with the Software Information
> and Industry Association and the FBI’s Internet Fraud Complaint
> Center.

First, it says "one-year investigation", but if I remember correctly,
CHIP (Computer Hacking and Intellectual Property Unit) has been formed
only last summer (so about a half a year ago, at least officially).

Second, read the old court documents about Sklyarov arrest -- it also
mentions CHIP, in about the same words.

And finally, I'm just curious how much taxpayer's money has been spent
to catch just one person (I don't think that this guy, using simple
CD-writer, was able to make much copies). Also, please note that the
complaint (about copyright infringment) came from the same company,
i.e. Adobe, and FBI reacted immediately. Feel the smell?

/Vladimir
vkatalov at elcomsoft.com