[free-sklyarov] corrupt music CDs

Izel Sulam izel at sulam.com
Thu Dec 20 01:17:20 PST 2001

-----

You wrote:

Next time when i go to buy music CD i am going to ask whether i will
be able to rip it to mp3 with software i use for this purpose.
If the answer is "No" i will not buy the CD, if "yes" i will ask for
garantees and full money-back if i fail to rip it.

-----

IMHO this would be the worst way to go about impacting the bottom
line of music cartels.

If you do this, you will be having no impact whatsoever. You will be
told that you may not be able to rip mp3's, you will walk away as a
non-customer, and it will be like you never even walked into the
shop.

The best way to have an impact would be to purchase the
copy-controlled CD (preferably using a credit card), bring it home,
make a good-faith effort to rip mp3's from it in the same way that you
rip mp3's from any regular CD, and if you fail, take it back to the
shop and ask for your money back.

I have heard that Universal has given clear directions to retail
outlets to refund the customer's money should this sort of thing ever
happen. Obviously Universal is afraid of negative public relations
and eventual protests and visibility.

Should the store refuse to refund one's money, one should contact
one's credit card company, complain that he was sold defective
merchandise and furthermore refused a refund, and one should ask
for a chargeback at the expense of the retail outlet. These sorts of
disputes are almost always resolved in the customer's favor,
especially when the facts are on the customer's side, as would be
the case here.

Doing this will have a clear financial impact on the bottom lines of
retail outlets and ultimately the music cartels. This is the only way to
get music cartels to do the "right thing", because the only language
that the cartels understand is that of profit and loss. We must
associate a significant financial loss with shipping copy-controlled
media.

- izel

P.S. An important point was made a couple of months ago about
how the using term "crippled" to refer to copy-controlled
technologies may be offensive to disabled people. This is
especially embarrassing because I originally proposed this
particular use of the term on this list. I now realize that we really want
disabled people, and organizations representing them, to be on our
side, because open formats empower disabled people to access
information in ways that copy-controlled and
cryptographically-encapsulated formats do not and cannot. This is
a very important argument favoring the use of open formats.

Fat Chuck's website uses the term "corrupt" CD's, which I think is a
great choice. The word "corrupt" is strong, memorable, descriptive
of the CDs and the moral state of the corporations producing them,
and not offensive to any people or organizations we may want to
have on our side.

I respectfully ask list members to stop using the term "crippled" to
refer to cryptographically-encapsulated data, and media housing
such. I apologize for establishing this association in the first place.