[free-sklyarov] KQED's "Californian of the year"

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 31 20:38:16 PST 2001

on Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:03:08AM -0800, Kevin A. Burton (burton at openprivacy.org) wrote:

> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself at ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > KQED FM's "Forum" program in San Francisco just wrapped a segment on
> > "Californian of the year", which had the expected cast of characters and
> > politicians with heavy emphasis on the energy crisis, terrorism, the
> > dot-bomb collapse and venture capitalists.  A few people managed to get
> > in mentions by email of Dmitri, however, and these were summarized at
> > the end of the hour as:
> >
> >     Dmitri Sklyarov, the Russian programmer who was involved in the
> >     Adobe massacre.
>
>             ^^^^^^^^
>
> WHAT?  Massacre?
>
> Doesn't this imply that Dmitri murdered a number of people at Adobe?

Um.  I'm sure that's what Adobe would like you to think, but it's not
how it sounded to my ears.  The evildoing party seemed to have a name
starting with the letter "a".

> > I swear that's not what _I_ wrote, but I couldn't have spun it better if I
> > tried.  Great press for us, and duly deserved press for Adobe.
>
> NOT if it is a massacre!
>
> > Merry Christmas, all, or other excuses for midwinter revelry and
> > introspection.
>
> This is bad press!  :)

I'll assume there's a tongue stuck somewhere in that cheek.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org