[free-sklyarov][alex@pilosoft.com: sklyarov, cont'd]

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Wed Jul 18 11:10:54 PDT 2001

----- Forwarded message from Alex Pilosov <alex at pilosoft.com> -----

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:14:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alex Pilosov <alex at pilosoft.com>
To: dc-stuff at dis.org
Subject: sklyarov, cont'd

Andy Malyshev, the other person from elcomsoft, posted more information
about it on http://www.passwords.ru/arrest.htm

Translation:
>From 11 to 16th of July I was at Las Vegas for DefCon 9 conference
alongside my coworker Dmitry Sklyarov who was presenting at the
conference. In the morning of July 16th, we left the hotel and decided to
go to airport. There were approximately 1.5 hours till our flight. Right
before we went through the doors, two persons approached us, shouting
"Hands on the wall, FBI". Thinking its a someone's bad joke (and there
were a lot of jokes about the feds at the conference), Dmitry laughend and
even tried to answer back,. But he was rudely told again "Hands on the
wall". I was asked for a key from the hotel room and asked for an
interview. A little bit later, Dmitry was brought into the room, he was
already handcuffed. Two more FBI employees who apparently controlled the
street, arrived later. Dmitry asked for handcuffs to be moved forward, as
its very unconfortable to sit with hands cuffed behind your back. He was
denied that request. FBI employee introduced himself and said that there
are no claims against me, and they have arrived to arrest Dmitry. They
politely asked to talk to me. To my question "Why was Dmitry arrested" the
answer was that he was charged with violation of DMCA. Initiator of a
process and prosecution was Adobe Corp. No further details were told to
me, they only said that they are executing orders. I was asked a few
questions, to which they obviously knew answers. They asked me to take
Dmitry's stuff, motivating it "They might get lost in US". To the question
about Dmitry's future, they said he'll be taken to the FBI local office,
where they'll clear up some questions, and then to the judge who will make
the final decision. All of above happened in Alexis Park Hotel, Las Vegas
NV. On the road to LA I was followed, quite [unconspiciously | rudely].
When I tried to make a phone call in airport, a cop ran to the
neighbouring phone, pretending to make a call, but he didn't.

Details about the conflict you can read at Elcomsoft's
site:http://www.elcomsoft.com/aebpr.html

Official report of FBI agent who arrested Dmitry you can see here:
http://www.planetebook.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=168

-alex

----- End forwarded message -----

(That document on planetebook.com is actually the affivadit submitted
before the arrest.)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I