[free-sklyarov] Still no contact with Marshals or Consulate

Henry Schwan owlswan at eff.org
Wed Jul 18 15:28:38 PDT 2001

the marshal service will undoubtedly give no information as they are
deadly paranoid.  I have been trying to find out who Alex Katalov in Las
Vegas has talked to at the Consulate so that I do not overlap.  I sent
contact information to the Federal Public Defender in LV to be passed on
to the PD in the venue where he is arraigned.  It would be important to
find him a sponsor in the Russian community so that it is more possible
for him to have bail rather than rot in jail.

We will probably not get much information about his when till he is here.
as I said the marshals service is very paranoid that he might be waylaid
so they give information only on need to know basis.  Clerks, if the knew
anything at all, would be embargoed from giving information.  Also, since
the marshals rarely move people alone, we don't know who he will be
traveling with who might be a much greater security risk.  We should keep
the pressure up to get information though.

I have been in touch with the US Attorney in San Jose he didn't know
anything yet, but says I can stay in touch which I will be daily.  Any
information that people glean, I would appreciate, both so I can keep a
central record of it and so that I do not duplicate efforts.  thanks.

--
Regards,

Henry Schwan
Paralegal