[free-sklyarov] picketting Adobe?

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Jul 18 16:44:09 PDT 2001

Begin Len Sassaman quotation:
> Has anyone moved forward on the idea to organize a demonstration
> outside the Adobe building in San Jose?

	What would we demonstrate?

	After the DeCSS protest outside of the Sony Metreon in San
Francisco, I have become soured on the notion of protests.  They seem
to me to be public declarations of impotence.  We want sympathy and
support, not pity.

	The Windows Refund Day demonstration was a nice one, since we
came with a list of demands and a story that showed we were following
Microsoft's own EULA.  It was very man-bites-dog.  What could we do like
that in this case?

	They key here is that the law is unfortunately clear.  What we
want to prove to the world is that the law is unjust and should be
rescinded or repealed or whatever it is that you call it when you kill
a bad law.

	To avoid a whiney picket march, we should do something clever
for the press to write about.  I haven't got any ideas off the top of
my head, but here are a few musings:

1) Write a flimsy content obfuscation system, and then have someone
	break it.  Call the FBI.  (make sure the damage claimed
	exceeds their magic number!  Is it still $5,000?)
2) VS LBH PNA ERNQ GUVF, LBH NER VA IVBYNGVBA BS GUR QZPN.  Hold a
	public demonstration illustrating some of the principles that
	Dimitry mentioned in his talk.  Describe the method for
	decrypting e-books in plain english.
3) Deliver Dimitry's original DEFCON talk outside of Adobe.

Can anyone think of any more?

--
You are not entitled to your opinions.

	01234567 <- The amazing* indent-o-meter!