[free-sklyarov] Hacker Arrest Stirs Protest

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Thu Jul 19 08:01:10 PDT 2001

At 6:47 PM +0400 7/19/01, Ilya V. Vasilyev wrote:
>Hi, David HM Spector!
>
>>  Buy 1 share of Adobe stock, then call the shareholder information line and
>
>Do you know, what you advise?
>
>Give Adobe money ($xx per each action participant), that
>will fund neutralization of our action!  Better ask people,
>that have Adobe stocks, to share with friends.

For the benefit of the Russians among us who may not understand the
US stock market so well. :)

Buying a share of stock doesn't put any money in Adobe's pocket.

Adobe sold its shares years ago, in its initial-public-offering
(IPO). They said "We're selling 70% of company, broken up into
30,000,000 pieces, give us $20 each" (or whatever).

Now, those shares are strewn in private hands around the world,
who've sold what they bought to others, who have in turn sold them,
etc.

In other words, you put money in the hands of the private-citizen who
happens to decide to sell Adobe at the same time you decide to buy
Adobe stock.

The only way they would "realize profit" is if there were so many
people buying single-share purchases that there was actually an
"inordinate demand" created for the stock, driving the price up,
making the value of their internal holdings (the other 30% of the
company in the random-figures-example above) increase. But that's not
very likely, on the scale we're talking.

| dredd at megacity.org  | "Conan! What is best in life?"          |
|  Derek J. Balling   | "To crush your enemies, see them        |
|                     |    driven before you, and to hear the   |
|                     |    lamentation of their women!"         |