[free-sklyarov] Hacker Arrest Stirs Protest

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Thu Jul 19 08:59:23 PDT 2001

At 10:38 AM -0500 7/19/01, Dave Sherohman wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:11:49AM -0600, Sonja V. Tideman wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>    Would I actually qualify as a defendent in the lawsuit since my shares
>>  were bought after Adobe committed the action that spawned the lawsuit? (I
>>  have no idea about this)
>
>Not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, etc.
>
>In general, shareholders are not liable for the actions of a corporation
>unless they are actively involved in directing its actions (e.g., corporate
>officers).  As the holder of a small number of shares, you are at no risk
>beyond the possible loss of the price you paid for those shares.

Actually, I think the question was misworded. I think he meant "If I
buy the shares after the action I'm complaining about, how can I
claim an aggrieved status as a plaintiff under a class action, when I
should have done my due diligence before buying the stock".

A very good question.

| dredd at megacity.org  | "Conan! What is best in life?"          |
|  Derek J. Balling   | "To crush your enemies, see them        |
|                     |    driven before you, and to hear the   |
|                     |    lamentation of their women!"         |